27 April 2012

A new blog look, a new town, a new country and a new sewing machine. 


I am going to try and keep this blog on track, although those who know me know how sporadic my blogging is. I love looking at all the wonderfully creative people in the world through their blogs and really feel after many years of sewing I need to commit to this and get more of my images out there.




Today I start my first sewing project in Beijing. 
A present for a new expat friend I met here in Beijing. A present for her birthday on Sunday. 


She and her husband rescued a cat when they were in Dubai and brought him here to China last year, does that make him trilingual? They are from the UK so they speak to him in English. 


Here in the internationals schools they speak of 3CK's and according to wiki  "Third culture kid (TCK, 3CK) is a term coined in the early 1950s by American sociologist and anthropologist Ruth Hill Useem "to refer to the children who accompany their parents into another society".


So I thought I'd try my hand at creating a 3CK cat for them.

Now to choose some fabric and draft a pattern . . . .















The Work Space . . . 


I have organised our spare room into my studio and last last stole my daughter's lamp as I could no longer bare the harsh overhead light in the rented apartment. One of the worst things for me about renting is dealing with other peoples light fittings. We don't want to buy too much stuff here as we have a full house load of furniture in storage in Australia. However this little baby from Ikea (yep there's an Ikea in Beijing) saved my soul last night and this was the result.


Lovely soft light - can't sew by it but it is heaven after dealing with nasty overhead lighting.


The beginning of my new studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment